|Lifestyle| Milk + Honey + Relationships

Back in my early 20’s I went through one of the roughest and
hardest break ups I have had to endure.

It truly took a toll on me emotionally and physically. I
think the worst part was the toll it took on the love I had for myself.

I felt
incomplete now that I wasn’t a couple, I felt as though I was not capable of
being loved, like I was not worth any ones time or attention.

I mean if he didn’t want me, then who would? Why didn’t he
want me? Why wasn’t I enough? All thoughts that plagued my mind for a long
time.

I haven’t thought about that breakup in a while, but I recently
bought Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur and some of her poems reminded me of that
time.

I think we all remember our “first love” or our first “big girl”
relationship.

The book is separated into 4 parts:

The Hurting

The Loving

The Breaking

The Healing

Each poem is so powerful and beautiful. I can relate to them
all on some level.

Even though I am now married with 3 kids her words took me
back to a time when I was still learning myself and my worth.

When I met my husband I wasn’t that same 22 year old girl, I
was stronger. Older. Wiser.

I’d decided what I wanted in a relationship, what I wasn’t
going to put up with, and how I deserved to be treated. My husband is also a
completely different man than my ex. The foundation of friendship I have with
him is irreplaceable.

I can truly say he is my best friend, I can honestly say
that (heaven forbid) if we had to co-parent I know we would be able to do it
because of the friendship we have with one another and that is so very important to me.

I’m thankful for that hurt, for that break up, for my
undoing, and for my growth. It’s made me a better person and led me to someone
who knew how to love me because I learned to love myself.

I love this book so much that I am hosting a giveaway, I
want to share her words with someone else. It’s really easy to enter– all you
have to do is leave a comment below! Winner announced 12/11!

– M

Share:

13 Comments

1. Edith Cecilia Moreno
    June 7, 2018 / 7:15 am

I can completely identify with your post. I feel like some relationships regardless if they are bad, leave an imprint in your world. Although they say it’s better to have loved and lost never loved at all I honestly wish I would’ve never had these relationships however all I can hope for is to never Relationships like those again.

2. Jess @ Just Jess
    June 7, 2018 / 7:15 am

My friend was just telling me about this book, while I can’t relate to a breakup I have had to deal with extreme bullying resulting in finding an entirely new friend group/community. I am glad that you have been able to continue healing from this pain. Jess at Just Jess

3. June 7, 2018 / 7:15 am

I’m glad that you have such a good perspective on this. Relationships ending is never easy, but it is helpful to go through the whole process in order to learn from them and it sounds like you’ve done that well.

Happy for you to have found a great partner in your husband.

4. June 7, 2018 / 7:15 am

I’ve read several poems by Rupi Kaur (including the ones you included in this post) and they’re all fantastic! I don’t have her book yet, but would love to pick up a copy. Her poems are so refreshing and relatable. I’m also really glad you shared your personal story; break-ups, self-discovery, and new beginnings are all the beautiful (even if painful) parts of our own stories. I’m so glad you found someone to love who loves you and that you learned to love yourself – those are the best, most precious things to have.

5. June 7, 2018 / 7:15 am

I read Milk & Honey earlier this year and loved it – she puts all of the emotions from relationships into such beautiful, sharp sentences. I love hearing how other people have related to her work too.

6. Angela Palmer
    June 7, 2018 / 7:15 am

Your post is beautiful. I felt the words. I would love to read the book.

7. Tandra Wilkerson
    June 7, 2018 / 7:15 am

Isn’t it amazing how much we learn from the incidents that cause us the most pain?! In the midst of them, it seems like we can’t/won’t survive but on the other side of that is maturity and growth. I love that you understand how loving & understanding yourself, led you to the wonderful man you have now. Beautiful!

8. Leslie
    June 7, 2018 / 7:15 am

What a beautiful post ! I love how you interwined the words from the book into sharing your personal story of healing and finding love.

9. Azanique
    June 7, 2018 / 7:15 am

This post is so beautiful! I have heard so much about this book and am definitely entering. This would make the perfect Christmas gift.

-xo, Azanique | http://www.lotsofsass.com

10. Viceviewsvino
    June 7, 2018 / 7:15 am

No matter how old we are it seems like we are forever evolving…
    This life is amazing…we learn to find Peace from broken pieces.

11. Melissa Vera
    June 7, 2018 / 7:15 am

I love it when a book speaks to the soul. This sounds like a great read.

12. Rashana R.
    June 7, 2018 / 7:15 am

Wow!!! These quotes are truly spot on emotionally!!! My main motto that I tell people all the time when they need advice in a relationship or after a breakup is take time for yourself “Get Back To You” I always say you can say you love someone or even yourself but do you like YOU? #BESTBLOG Thanks for this read!!!

13. June 7, 2018 / 7:15 am

Ahhh, love Rumi! Hoping for a win!